Associate of Fine Arts (AFA)
Modes of Instruction
Click here to learn more about the modes of instruction offered at Kaskaskia College.
Theatre is a collaborative form of performing art that includes one or more human beings (actors) moving around in space (the set) and time (duration of performance) presenting the experience of a real or imagined event before one or more human beings (the audience). Modern theatre includes performances of plays and musical theatre.
Kaskaskia Theatre’s mission is to build an inclusive and collaborative community of aspiring theatre artists who are passionate about developing new skills and experiences in the classroom and on stage.
Kaskaskia College’s Associate of Fine Arts (AFA) in Theatre provides students with the first two years of study towards a Bachelors of Fine Arts in Theatre at a four-year college or university. Students will take the fundamental courses common with most undergraduate four year theatre programs and then can continue their studies in specialized areas (Acting, Musical Theatre, Design and Technology and Theatre Studies). Kaskaskia College has articulation agreements in place with several surrounding universities in the region.
Discipline Student Learning Outcomes
- Identify and explain all elements of a live stage production.
- Identify and define the contributions of everyone involved in a theatre production.
Gen Ed Student Learning Outcomes
- Critical Thinking
- Cultural Understanding
- Research Skills
- Understanding of Diversity
Program Student Learning Outcomes
1. Explain theatrical concepts, terminologies, and fundamental performance skills that enable effective participation in theatrical productions and related activities.
2. Demonstrate proficiency in acting, stage craft, and technical theatre to execute live theatrical performances.
3. Apply key theatrical concepts, terminology, and fundamental performance and technical skills to critically analyze theatrical works.
4. Demonstrate proficient communication and collaboration skills to foster a collaborative and inclusive environment when working with individuals from different abilities