The Director of Information Technology assists in the daily oversight of the information technology department and act as a point-of-contact for departmental-wide communications and operations. Manage deployment, monitoring, maintenance, development, upgrades, and support of all IT systems. Assist in managing IT staffing, recruitment, supervision, scheduling, development, and evaluation. Analyze current data structures, processes, and systems, develops best practices and data structures for future analysis and support reporting to inform institutional strategy.
Additionally, this position consults on developing new metrics and refining current metrics definitions and performs analysis of complex IT business issues, and provides recommendations for possible solutions. This role will provide a high level of customer service, develop robust relationships with internal and external stakeholders, and actively promote the use of technology to improve teaching and business operations
The Director of Information Technology reports to the Chief Information Officer, who reports to the Vice President of Administrative Services, who reports to the College President.
- Helps establish and implements the vision and goals for Informational Technology (IT) across campus and ensure it meets or exceeds established goals.
- Conduct multi-year planning for IT budget needs.
- Provide oversight to all systems in use at the College.
- Analyzes current data structures, processes, and systems and develops best practice data structures for future analysis and reporting to direct institutional strategy.
- Consults in developing new metrics and refining current metrics definitions.
- Audits data management processes to ensure accuracy, documents existing processes for standard reports, and identifies opportunities for process improvements.
- In collaboration with management, develops dashboard reporting of key performance indicators.
- Performs analysis of complex Information Technology (IT) business issues and provides recommendations for possible solutions.
- Utilize current systems to their fullest potential, draft technical reports, and use IT systems to produce analysis based on data and facts to provide recommendations.
- Serves as an escalation point of contact for administrative database issues.
- Serve on all required committees.
- Mentors and coaches employees
- Assists in identifying and developing data requirements and extrapolates data into information to drive process improvements.
- Works collaboratively with other departments and business partners to resolve issues.
- Assists with system testing, migration and/or implementation of systems.
- Works on Help Desk tickets and special projects as assigned.
- Establishes and maintains users on required IT platforms.
- Gathers all pertinent information, researches and tests potential issues and works with vendors on solutions for the required platforms.
- Performs other duties as required by the CIO.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or MIS, or equivalent education and work experience.
- Experience in translating business requirements into structured systems design using appropriate design methodologies in close cooperation with Business Analysts and business customers
- Experience with identifying critical performance characteristics, security measures and other application development considerations
- Experience with interpreting testing requirements and critical customer acceptance criteria and writing detailed unit and integration test plans
- IT development experience in multiple roles
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Practical experience in all systems life cycle phases
- Knowledge and practical experience in core development technologies
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-resolution skills
- Masters degree, with requisite Bachelors degree or experience
- Five years of related experience
- Demonstrated success in project management and facilitation of collaborative and creative projects.
- Experience developing and facilitating professional development opportunities for staff members.
- Ability to multi-task and oversee multiple initiatives and projects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, patience, a good sense of humor, and the ability to work effectively as a team leader and colleague across the college.
- Experience managing budgets, supervising teams, and developing strategic plans (e.g., moving from vision to integration).
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
- Works in a standard office environment with frequent distractions, interruptions, and deadlines.
- Must be able to be mobile and stationary throughout the workday
- Have the ability to transport 20 pounds and be able to operate a computer and other business equipment found in the office
- Travel within the college district and occasional overnight travel, is required as necessary for professional development and in carrying out the responsibilities of this position..
Responsible for professional development, assigning and reviewing work, approving leaves and timesheets, and completing evaluations. Has direct supervisory oversight of the Information Technology department and possible student workers.
The Employee is expected to follow all college policies and procedures and all local, state, and federal laws. Employee is expected to adhere to and promote Kaskaskia College core values of compassion, honesty, respect, responsibility, and fairness.
By my signature below, I acknowledge that I have read this job description and understand the requirements of this position.
As an AA/EEO employer Kaskaskia College is interested in receiving applications from individuals who would enhance the diversity of the College.
BENEFIT SUMMARY SHEET FOR EXECUTIVE/MANAGERIAL AND PROFESSIONAL/MANAGERIAL STAFF
The following information is based on the current employee fringe benefits that Kaskaskia College offers. It is not intended to be a contractual agreement and in no way limits Kaskaskia College from altering such benefits in the future.
VACATION LEAVE 1.83 days per month, for a total of 22 days per fiscal year. For grant-funded employees, vacation time must be used in the year that it is earned.
SICK LEAVE 12 days per fiscal year
PERSONAL LEAVE 3 days per fiscal year
PAID HOLIDAYS Minimum of 13 paid holidays per year
HEALTH INSURANCE is effective the first day of the month after hire date and includes comprehensive medical, vision and dental coverage.
Rates effective 9/1/23:
$247.00 per month employee only coverage
$394.00 per month employee plus one
$420.00 per month employee plus family
Provider is Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Illinois.
LIFE INSURANCE is provided by the College and is effective the first day of the month after hire date. The benefit amount is equal to annual salary. Additional voluntary insurance is available at employees expense.
FLEXIBLE SPENDING ACCOUNT and 403(b) PLANS are also available.
The State Universities Retirement System requires that 8% of an employees monthly gross pay is deducted for individual retirement purposes.
It is also required that .75% of an employees monthly gross pay be deducted to fund the College Insurance Plan for Community College Retirees.
TUITION WAIVERS are available for staff and family.
CHILD CARE and BOOKSTORE DISCOUNT available.
For further information regarding benefits, please contact Human Resources at 618-545-3024.