Prairie State Generating Company is looking for college students who are interested in a summer intern program in coal mining. A limited number of internships are available for college students enrolled a specific curriculum. Participating as an intern will provide experience and exposure to state of the art technology, industry experience, hands-on training, and exposure to industry professionals. In this internship students may rotate through the Maintenance, Operations, Compliance, Engineering, and Safety departments to gain exposure in all aspects of an underground coal mine.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following (other duties and responsibilities may be assigned):
- Work on Mine Maintenance projects which include maintenance procedure reviews and updates and equipment fit for use analysis.
- Work on Mine Operations projects which include data collection and data analysis for mine ventilation projects and assistance in continuous improvement projects in safety, quality and production areas.
- Assist in new construction projects, production and time study data analysis as related to improving the machine performance and productivity in the mine and root cause analysis of equipment failures.
- Collaborate with PSGC team members regarding the practical application of MSHA regulations to the PSGC Mine working environments.
- Be a valuable and respected member of the overall PSGC team through a high level of professionalism, maturity and commitment to the stated values of the PSGC as witnessed by their daily conduct, words and actions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position. REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS MAY BE MADE TO ENABLE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS.
- To be considered, an individual MUST be enrolled in a college degree program such as Electrical Automation, Control Systems Technology, Diesel Technology, Industrial Technology, or related.
- Must be in good academic standing.
- MUST be available for a 12 week program beginning in Mid/Late-May to Early/Mid-August.
MSHA 40 hour training is a plus but not necessary as it will be obtained during internship
- Safety and health hazards associated with each job assignment.
- MSHA regulations
- Basic Industrial Hygiene sampling methods
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to clearly communicate with co-workers, supervisors and others.
- Ability to read and understand operating procedures.
- Ability to read and understand Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Ability to work unsupervised as required.
- Ability to enter confined spaces, climb ladders and wear respirators as needed.
- Ability to sit, stand, reach, stoop, and lift boxes weighing as much as 25 pounds.
The characteristics listed herein describe the work environment the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS MAY BE MADE TO ENABLE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS. While performing the duties of this position, the employee:
- Will work in damp, dimly lit and confined work areas and will be subjected to extremes of ambient temperature.
- Will encounter noise levels that will necessitate the wearing of hearing protection.
- Will encounter coal dust levels that may necessitate the wearing of breathing protection.
Salary and Benefits
How to Apply
Any interested candidate must apply through the PSGC company website at: https://prairiestateenergycampus.com/careers/