Assist with management of accounting, auditing, and budgeting functions for Kaskaskia College and Kaskaskia College Foundation. Responsible for management of the accounts payable and fixed asset functions and facilitating the budget process.
The Assistant Controller reports to the Controller, who reports to the Vice President of Administrative Services, who reports to the President of the College.
Qualifications for Position
1. Bachelor’s degree in accounting or closely related field.
2. Minimum two years of acceptable accounting experience.
3. Strong knowledge and understanding of accounting methods, theory, best practices, and standards.
4. Possess necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to effectively manage the accounts payable and fixed assets functions and facilitate the budgeting function including leadership, decision-making, dispute resolution, administration, organization, delegation, supervision, employee development, productivity, resource utilization, and accountability.
5. Possess a high level of professionalism and interpersonal skills so as to be able to work well with employees at all levels within the organization and maintain all information in the strictest of confidence.
6. Strong collaboration skills to successfully work with other individuals and departments to enhance the organizations.
7. Ability to read, write, and communicate fluent English; ability to compose documents in the appropriate business style using correct grammar and spelling; ability to communicate clearly using proper grammar and diction over the telephone.
8. Attention to detail, ability to balance multiple projects, and strong time management skills.
9. Ability to reason and apply common-sense understanding to situations encountered.
10. Ability to process routine daily functions while being able to resolve sensitive issues and complex assignments utilizing above-average critical thinking skills.
11. Ability to collect information through communication, questioning, and interviewing techniques.
12. Strong technology skills, including experience with computer-based accounting systems.
13. Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the community college mission and philosophy.
14. Demonstrated proficiency in organizing and planning.
1. CPA licensure.
2. Minimum one year of experience managing personnel.
3. Experience with governmental fund accounting.
1. Manage the operations of the accounts payable and fixed asset management functions including required filings to the Internal Revenue Service, the state of Illinois, Illinois Community College Board (ICCB), and other regulatory agencies.
2. Facilitate the budget development process including program review and course fee review as well as training and assisting budget officers.
3. Maintain the budget process and budget software throughout the year.
4. Assist the controller with reporting including preparation of timely and accurate reports including budget, financial statements, external reports, variance analysis, and other financial analysis.
5. Assist the controller in ensuring proper accounting procedures for the College and Foundation, including internal control considerations, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures.
6. Prepare or oversee preparation of account reconciliations and assist with state payment tracking.
7. Assist with month-end and year-end close.
8. Assist with audits, accreditations, and similar processes.
9. Provide leadership and day-to-day management of accounts payable personnel including professional development and ongoing performance mentoring.
10. Advise controller of accounting pronouncements, industry practices, technology developments, tax laws, and pending legislation including the potential impact on the College or Foundation.
11. Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Supervises staff in accounts payable. Positions reporting to Assistant Controller include Accounts Payable Specialist and part-time Business Services Assistant.
Position is expected to work independently with a minimum amount of supervision using independent judgment and discretion. Consultation with the Controller or Vice President of Administrative Services is available as needed.
Position is expected to follow all Kaskaskia College policies and procedures, along with all local, state and federal laws and regulations. Position also expected to comply with all generally accepted accounting principles and standards. Position is expected to adhere to and promote College core values of compassion, honesty, respect, fairness and responsibility.
Has frequent contact with faculty, staff, students, outside agencies, and local banks.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Works in a standard office environment, with frequent distractions and interruptions. Must be mobile and stationary throughout the work day and have the ability to transport 20 pounds and be able to operate a computer and other business equipment in an office. Position subject to frequent deadlines. Some travel is required.
Kaskaskia College is seeking applications for Assistant Controller. This position is responsible for assisting with management of accounting, auditing, and budgeting functions for Kaskaskia College and College Foundation as well as management for the accounts payable and fixed asset functions and facilitating the budget process. To see the full job description and to apply see the following link: www.kaskaskia.edu/hr
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary range is $55,000-$65,000 annually and fringe benefits eligible.
To receive consideration, candidates must submit a cover letter describing how their qualifications meet the position criteria, along with a resume and transcripts
As an AA/EEO employer Kaskaskia College is interested in receiving applications from individuals who would enhance the diversity of the College. A full job description is available at www.kaskaskia.edu/hr.
BENEFIT SUMMARY SHEET FOR EXECUTIVE/MANAGERIAL AND PROFESSIONAL/MANAGERIAL STAFFKASKASKIA COLLEGE The following information is based on the current employee fringe benefits that Kaskaskia College offers. It is not intended to be a contractual agreement and in no way limits Kaskaskia College from altering such benefits in the future. VACATION LEAVE 1.83 days per month, for a total of 22 days per fiscal year. For grant-funded employees, vacation time must be used in the year that it is earned. SICK LEAVE 12 days per fiscal year PERSONAL LEAVE 3 days per fiscal year PAID HOLIDAYS Minimum of 13 paid holidays per year HEALTH INSURANCE is effective the first day of the month after the hire date and includes comprehensive medical, vision and dental coverage. Rates effective 9/1/22: $211.00 per month employee only coverage $334.00 per month employee plus one $356.00 per month employee plus family Provider is Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Illinois. LIFE INSURANCE is provided by the College and is effective the first day of the month after the hire date. The benefit amount is equal to annual salary. Additional voluntary insurance is available at employee’s expense. FLEXIBLE SPENDING ACCOUNT and 403(b) PLANS are also available. RETIREMENT PLAN The State Universities Retirement System requires that 8% of an employee’s monthly gross pay is deducted for individual retirement purposes. It is also required that .5% of an employee’s monthly gross pay be deducted to fund the College Insurance Plan for Community College Retirees. TUITION WAIVERS are available for staff and family. CHILD CARE and BOOKSTORE DISCOUNT available. For further