As technology continues to be integrated into the business environment, the role of today’s administrative assistants has changed dramatically. Current employers are seeking qualified, competent workers who can manage information, effectively communicate, and possess organizational and computer skills. Kaskaskia College's Office Technologies programs provide students with training to enter a wide variety of professional areas including general office, medical, legal, desktop productions, and web design.
Administrative assistants and secretaries typically do the following:
- Answer telephones and take messages or transfer calls
- Schedule appointments and update event calendars
- Arrange staff meetings
- Handle incoming and outgoing mail and faxes
- Prepare memos, invoices, or other reports
- Edit documents
- Maintain databases and filing systems, whether electronic or paper
- Perform basic bookkeeping
The program offers degrees preparing students to work in various types of offices including medical, legal, and general offices. The program also offers numerous short certificates to prepare students to enter the workforce in several specialties.