Associate in Applied Science
Modes of Instruction
Click here to learn more about the modes of instruction offered at Kaskaskia College.
Kaskaskia College's Industrial Electricity program prepares students for a career as a maintenance electrician or industrial electrician. The program is similar to the Industrial Technology degree program but does not include welding or fluid power hydraulics and pneumatics. Students study other areas of industrial electricity instead, such as instrumentation and process control. Students in the program will focus on the following areas:
- Electronic and Process Control
- Electrical Code and Safety
- Electronic Instrumentation such as sensors and microprocessors
Graduates from the program are employed by area industrial firms or other facilities. The program also provides a strong base for students seeking to transfer into a baccalaureate program. Students benefit from hands on industrial wiring and motor control training as well as programmable logic controllers (PLC). The program also covers solid state and digital electronics.
Classes and lab work are conducted at the Kaskaskia College Harry L. Crisp Technology Center, 2005 E. McCord in Centralia. The program is also offered as on-site training for industries throughout the district.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate the basic skills necessary for troubleshooting and repairing of electronic systems. This includes the troubleshooting and testing of components used in electronic systems.
- Demonstrate the knowledge of codes utilized in the industry.
- Operate and program process control devices utilized in industry. Program and wire these systems to perform various process tasks such as starting and stopping of actuators, timing and part counting sequences, and process monitoring.
- Demonstrate industrial wiring techniques in order to actuate motors and other devices. Wire components and enclosures to meet industry standards including safety requirements.
- Demonstrate the knowledge of safety standards and processes utilized in industry.