To perform instructional and all related duties in the College’s educational program.
Faculty member reports to the Dean of Arts and Sciences, who reports to the Vice President of Instructional Services, who reports to the President of the College. Faculty member supervises student worker(s) as necessary.
Qualifications for Position
Required: • Master of Science in chemistry
• Ability to teach General Chemistry, Organic and Inorganic Chemistry, and Biochemistry.
• Willing to teach summer classes, online classes, evenings and weekends as necessary.
• Possess a strong commitment to student learning and to the use of technology and innovation in the delivery of instruction.
• Commitment to community college mission and philosophy.
• Excellent communication, organization, and presentation skills.
• Willingness and ability to teach students and work with entire College community in an effective and positive manner.
Preferred: • Two years community college teaching experience.
• Assist in developing, enhancing, and expanding the Chemistry program.
• Perform instructional duties as assigned for appropriate subject area.
• Prepare or update syllabi as needed for all courses in which the faculty member has instructional responsibilities.
• Attend and participate in committee meetings, sponsorship of student activities and other College activities as requested and consistent with current collective bargaining agreement.
• Advise and counsel students consistent with current collective bargaining agreement
• Prepare reports as requested.
• Participate in commencement exercises.
• Recommend textbooks and equipment, which the instructor deems necessary in instructional assignments.
• Develop appropriate curriculum for instructor’s subject area.
• Perform assessment of student learning and participate in College-wide assessment program.
• Perform program review.
• Report absences from assigned responsibilities promptly to the Dean.
• Maintain attendance and grade records and provide these records for review as necessary.
• Participate in professional development activities both on campus and off-campus as requested and consistent with current collective bargaining agreement.
• Keep abreast of current trends, technologies and information in subject area.
• Plan and implement a program of communication and recruitment with potential interested students in the specific teaching area or vocational program. Be responsible for ensuring adequate enrollment levels in instructor’s educational program.
• Help maintain all accreditation standards and prepare necessary materials for accreditation visits.
• Work closely with community groups and area schools to develop partnerships and to ensure that the program is meeting the needs of partners.
• Participate annually in dual credit visits to area high schools.
• Provide input to the Dean in the budget process.
• Assist the appropriate College staff in follow-up activities for graduating or existing Kaskaskia students.
• Assist the appropriate College staff in the dissemination of information dealing with Kaskaskia’s programs and activities for students and the community.
• Perform other related duties as assigned and consistent with the current collective bargaining agreement.
Supervise student worker(s) as necessary.
Faculty member is required to work independently with a minimum amount of supervision. Consultation as necessary is available with the Dean/Vice President.
Faculty member is expected to follow all College policies and procedures as well as all local, state, and federal laws. Faculty member is also expected to adhere to and foster development of Kaskaskia College core values of compassion, honesty, respect, responsibility and fairness.
Depending on the specific teaching schedule and assignments, faculty member will have daily contact with students and other College employees and will have frequent contact with community.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Depending on the faculty member’s load assignment, duties will be performed in either a classroom setting or a Lab environment. Travel within the College district, as well as occasional overnight travel is required as necessary to perform duties of the position and consistent with the current collective bargaining agreement.
Nine-month, tenure track, bargaining unit position starting Fall Semester 2021. Full-time, benefit eligible position with compensation commensurate with experience and education (August to May). Responsible for instruction and all related duties in the Chemistry Program as required, including assessment of student learning, program review, student recruitment and advisement, and institutional committee participation.
A Master’s Degree is required along with 18 graduate hours in Chemistry. Degree granting institutions must be regionally accredited also requires commitment to community college mission and philosophy, commitment to student learning, willingness and ability to use technology and innovation in the delivery of instruction, and excellent communication, organization, planning, and presentation skills. Previous teaching experience, two years of community college teaching experience preferred.
All applicants being considered for hire will be required to submit to a pre-employment background investigation, including a criminal record check.
To receive consideration, applicants must submit a cover letter describing how qualifications meet the position criteria, along with a resume, copy of transcripts, official Kaskaskia College Employment Application, online at www.kaskaskia.edu/hr.
RE: Assistant Professor of Chemistry IS7721
27210 College Road
Centralia, IL 62801
As an AA/EEO employer Kaskaskia College is interested in receiving applications from individuals who would enhance the diversity of the College. A full job description is available at www.kaskaskia.edu/hr.
SICK LEAVE 10 days per fiscal year
PERSONAL LEAVE 3 days per fiscal year
HEALTH INSURANCE is effective the first day of the month after hire date and includes comprehensive medical coverage and vision and dental coverage.
Current Rates effective 9/1/20: Employee only $178.00/month Employee+1 $290.00/month Employee+2 or more $335.00/month
Provider is Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Illinois
LIFE INSURANCE is provided by the College and is effective the first day of the month after hire date. The benefit amount is equal to annual salary. Additional voluntary insurance is available at employee’s expense.
FLEXIBLE SPENDING ACCOUNT and 403(b) PLANS are also available.
The State Universities Retirement System requires that 8% of an employee’s monthly gross pay is deducted for individual retirement purposes.
It is also required that .5% of an employee’s monthly gross pay be deducted to fund the College Insurance Plan for Community College Retirees.
Prevailing union dues deducted from monthly pay.
TUITION WAIVERS available for staff and family. CHILD CARE DISCOUNT available.