The following criteria are established for the award:
· Must be enrolled as a full time student at Kaskaskia College
· Applicant will be judged on a combination of factors including overall grade point average of at least a 2.0 on a 4.0 scale and financial need
· Applicant must have a physical difficulty they are trying to overcome, or have overcome some type of difficulty in their lifetime
· Applicant must be enrolled in the Special Education or related field of study
· Applicant must submit an essay outlining their need for financial assistance, career objectives, and background profile
· This scholarship is for $500 and will be credited to the recipients account for tuition, fees, books, and course related supplies purchased through the Kaskaskia College Bookstore, childcare provided by the Kaskaskia College Children’s Learning Center, and meal cards to be used in the Kaskaskia College Cafeteria
· A member of the Hal Hempen family may sit on the Selection Committee, if desired.