The Channahon Fire Protection District will be conducting an open, competitive examination for the position of Firefighter/Paramedic.
SATURDAY, April 27, 2013
An application packet will be available beginning February 25, 2013 at www.publicsafetyrecruitment.com.
Application deadline will be 12 NOON on Friday, April 5, 2013. Testing will be held at Channahon Junior High School, 24917 W. Sioux Drive, Channahon, IL 60410.
Firefighter/Paramedic Testing Process
The following description is intended to serve only as a general summary of the Fire Protection District’s Firefighter/Paramedic hiring process.
Elements of the selection process include: the online application process, written examination, and proof of completion of Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) and Ladder Climb Certification.
Testing is typically conducted every two years.
When testing takes place, all individuals interested in becoming a Firefighter/Paramedic must meet the following requirements:
· $25.00 non-refundable application fee;
· U.S. Citizenship;
· High School Diploma or Equivalent;
· Valid Driver’s License;
· 21 to under 35 years of age by application deadline (4/5/2013), unless otherwise exempt by statute;
· Must be an Illinois Certified Firefighter II/Basic Operations Firefighter with the Illinois Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM);
· Must have a valid and current Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) Paramedic License at time of hire;
· Must have a valid CPAT card AND Ladder Climb Certificate issued within one year prior to written exam date (4/27/2013). MUST have a valid CPAT and Ladder Climb Certificate at time of hire as well;
· Must reside within the State of Illinois;
· No Felony Convictions;
· Completion and submission of online application and all required documents by noon on Friday, April 5, 2013.
Applicants are processed in subsequent steps as follows:
· Completion of online application and submission of all required documents.
· Proof of completion of Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) and Ladder Climb issued within 12 months prior to written exam date (4/27/2013) AND at time of hire.
· Mandatory orientation and written examination.
· Initial Oral Examination - To be determined by the Fire Commission per the median score
· An Initial Eligibility List of applicants will be established in numeric order based on a minimum passing score on the written examination and oral interview.
· Submission of proof of preference points of a maximum of 30 points from categories below -
The Commission shall assign preference points as follows:
1. Veteran’s Preference Points: 5 points
2. Fire Cadet Preference Points: 0 – 5 points
3. Educational Preference Points: 0 – 5 points
4. Paramedic Preference Points: 0 – 5 points
5. Experience Preference Points: 0 – 5 points
6. Residency Preference Points: 0 – 5 points
7. Additional Preference Points: 0 – 5 points
· A Final Eligibility List which includes all preference points will be established.
· The eligibility list is valid for a period of two years from the date of certification by the Board of Fire Commissioners.
Further participation in the selection process will take place as vacancies occur. Applicants will be invited, in rank order, to participate in and successfully advance through the following steps.
· Must gain approval into Silver Cross EMS System
· After conditional offer of employment the following will be completed.
- Background investigation
- In-depth psychological evaluation after conditional offer of employment
- Medical examination including drug screen after conditional offer of employment
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer