Hours: 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
-Must be 19 years of age.
1. Applicants must hold or be able to obtain a paraprofessional statement of approval from the Illinois State Board of
Education (ex. 30 credit hours of college). The statement of approval can be obtained from the St. Clair County Regional
Office of Education (618-825-3900).
2. Pleasant personality and neat appearance.
3. Able to work with and around children.
4. Ablility to operate audio-visual equipement.
5. Keyboarding skills.
6. Ablility to maintain confidentiality.
7. Emotionally and physically able to perform duties required of position.
8. Have a good command of the English language.
9. Have a basic knowledge of first aid and health procedures.
10. Possess a general knowledge of office equipment.
1. Assist in the implementation of preschool educational programs by providing comprehensive assessments,
evaluations, and instructions to meet the needs of teachers, parents, and children.
a. Assist in planning and implementing activities to meet the physical, emotional, intellectual and social needs
of the children in the program
b. Provide nutritious snacks and lunches, including preparation and cleaning up afterwards
c. Provide adequate equipment and activities
d. Ensure equipment and the facility are clean, well maintained and safe at all times, including before, during,
and after sessions
e. Prepare and maintain the learning environment
a. Set up art materials and clean up afterwards
b. Put away children’s art work when dry
c. Sharpen pencils, cut paper, check paper supplies in the classroom and replace when needed
d. Help keep the closets and storage areas orderly
f. Develop culturally appropriate programs and activities
g. Assist during activities that introduce math and literacy concepts
h. Be familiar with emergency policies
3. Incorporate family resources, priorities and concerns into the preschool curriculum.
a. Provide parents with ongoing informal information
b. Discuss identified problems and needs with professionals as appropriate
c. Promote literacy and early education
4. Facilitate positive interaction between children and adults recognizing diversity as a strength in children and families.
5. Use assessment tools/ procedures according to standard and applies State/ national guidelines/ mandates in
a. Assist teachers with documentation and maintaining daily assessments on children, including portfolios
b. Be familiar with the Illinois Early Learning Standards
c. Providing teachers with input concerning individual child’s progress and assist in gathering samples of children’s work
6. Articulates a professional development plan
a. Active participant in staff meetings, generating and exchanging ideas, goal setting and in sharing the
responsibility for all children enrolled
7. Supervise children in the preschool
a. Ensure children are supervised at all times
b. Actively engaged in learning experiences with the children during class time
c. Supervise children in the bathrooms; change wet pants as needed, place soiled pants in plastic bags and label
d. Supervise children during rest time; rub backs during initial nap transition, provide quiet activities for
non-resting children, and assist in curriculum planning and preparation while children are resting
e. Supervise children during outdoor play
f. Supervise and assist children during lunch time; open containers, clean up spills, assist children
when feeding if needed, and cleaning up afterward
g. Build children’s self esteem
h. Comfort children
i. Establish routines and provide positive guidance
j. Implement positive discipline when required
k. Clearly and effectively communicate in a manner that children understand
l. Observe children and make note of progress
Terms of employment 8 hours per day