The Dental Assistant Program begins in the fall semester only.
- Must be a high school graduate or HEC recipient.
- Fill out a Kaskaskia College application for admission.
- Complete a Dental Assisting Program Admission worksheet.
Please Note . . . Failure to attach all required documents will result in worksheet being
rejected! Should this occur, a new worksheet with required documents attached must be
resubmitted to the noted department.
- English and Reading ACT scores or COMPASS test taken within the last five years will determine English placement. Students must successfully complete English 101, Physchology, and Speech by the end of the program.
- Send official high school and college transcripts to Kaskaskia College.
- Once a student is selected, they are required to attend a mandatory meeting prior to the start of the semester. Each applicant granted acceptance into the program will receive a letter informing them of the date, time, and location of the meeting.
Standard Skills for Dental Assisting
- Lift and carry up to ten pounds.
- Retrieve dental supplies from storage areas at different heights.
- Reach overhead equipment to a height of five feet.
- Work for a prolonged period without breaks, e.g., typical shift of eight hours.
- Manipulate mechanical and patient care equipment, i.e. dials, switches, push buttons, keyboards, syringes, and blood pressure equipment.
- Maneuver in tight quarters common to dental offices.
- Differentiate among subtle shades of gray used in radiographic image formation.
- Discern color and shape changes in oral tissue.
- Respond to requests and directions.
- Use dental instruments with precision and control.
- Clearly and effectively communicate instructions and information to patients, and share information with other team members.
- Wear protective equipment such as surgical gloves, goggles, and face shields.
- Be aware of possible exposure to hazards such as radiographic rays, dental materials, blood and other potentially hazardous body fluids.
- High School graduate of HEC recipient.
- File the following information with the Admissions Office.
- Kaskaskia College application for admission.
- Completed Dental Assisting Program Admission Worksheet.
- Official college transcripts from other colleges.
- Official high school transcript or offlcial HEC score report.
- English Placement achieved by ACT/COMPASS scores.
- Additional course work may be determined by program director.
- Those Students chosen for acceptance into the dental assisting program must attend a mandatory meeting scheduled by the Dental Assiting Coordinator.